Maine allows you to complete your divorce without an attorney if you and your spouse can come to an agreement on what to do with your property and how you will care for any children that you have.
Maine Residency Requirements
To file for divorce in Maine your must meet ONE or more of the following residency requirements:
- You have resided in Maine for 6 months prior to filing for divorce. OR
- You are a resident of Maine and you were married in Maine. OR
- You are a resident of Maine and you resided in Maine when the cause of divorce started. OR
- Your spouse is a resident of the state of Maine.
Grounds For Divorce
The no-fault ground for divorce in Maine is irreconcilable marital differences.
Filing Your Maine Divorce
After completing the online interview, DivorceWriter sends you the divorce forms you prepared online along with detailed Maine filing instructions.
The basic steps for filing your divorce are as follows:
- Review and sign the divorce papers.
- File the Complaint for Divorce and related documents with the court clerk.
- A judge finalizes the divorce by signing an Order of Divorce.
Division of property & debt, child parenting plan (including child support, visitation and custody), spousal support, and more are covered.
DivorceWriter provides forms specific to the state of Maine and offers a money back guarantee if your documents are not accepted by the Court.